Newtown news of 25, 50, 75 and 100 years ago, from the files of The Newtown Bee....Read Full Article
- Lisa Unleashed: Does California’s Puppy Mill Ban Really Help Dogs?
- NewArts Finds Perfect Partnership With Walnut Hill Community Church
- Reed Hosts ‘TAGtivities’ To Offer New Lessons For Students
- Health Official Talks Turkey Regarding Holiday Food Safety
- Yoga Dimensions Holiday Yogathon To Benefit Women’s Center Of Greater Danbury
- Unified Sports Provides Opportunity For Students To Grow
- Sandy Hook CEO Celebrating Leahy’s Fuels 100th Anniversary
UPDATE (Wednesday, March 22, 2017): This article has been updated to include the correct date of the Labor Day Parade Committee’s March meeting.
* * * * *
Newtown’s 56th Labor Day Parade should step off at 10 am Monday, September 4.
Members of the parade committee are a little worried this year’s parade may not take place, however. With a number of key committee members announcing last August that they would step down — including Director Beth Caldwell, Vice President Robin Buchanan, Secretary Dan Cruson, Treasurer and Marketing Liaison Brian Amey, and Concierge Ellie Whelan — current members are concerned.
The committee held its latest meeting on March 9, and Brett Radachowsky reported the following day that help is absolutely needed.
“We all agree that we need volunteers this year or else the Newtown Labor Day Parade will not happen,” Mr Radachowsky told The Newtown Bee on March 10. “We have members that have been in position for years and are moving on and we need to fill these spots.
“We desperately need new volunteers this year to take on the tasks in order to make this parade happen,” Mr Radachowsky added.
The Parade Committee will hold its next meeting Wednesday, March 29. It will begin at 6 pm, but as of March 13, the location was not yet set.
Anyone interested in attending the meeting is encouraged to contact Andy Cluff, who is also a member of the Labor Day Parade Committee, at 203-994-4850 or email@example.com. He will keep those interested in attending updated on the meeting location.