- Newtown Elementary Schools Celebrate Literacy
- Newtown Continuing Education Classes Available
- Newtown Immaculate High School Student Earns National Scholastic Award
- Newtown Public Schools Announce Spring Concerts And Events
- Superintendent To Hold Open Hour For Budget Discussion With Public Monday
- New Kindergarten And First Grade Math Curriculum For Newtown Students
- Newtown’s PTA Reflections Program Winners Recognized At Schools
Newtown High School and the Newtown International Center for Education (NICE) program hosted two delegations back to back in March. A delegation of educators and students from Spain visited from March 13 to March 21, and a group of educators and students from France visited from March 21 to March 26.
Both visits included welcoming ceremonies, spending time with host families, attending classes, and seeing local sites. The delegation from Spain also visited New York City, and the delegation from France visited while NHS was staging its spring musical Les Miserables, School Edition, which the visitors were recommended to attend.
The first group visited from Newtown’s sister school, IES Las Encinas School, in Villanueva de la Cañada, Spain. The second group visited from sister school Lycée Alain in Les Vésinet, France.
NHS parent Diane Alicea was one of many people who attended a March 20 closing ceremony for the Spain delegation visit. She said it was her first time hosting a student, and she enjoyed the experience.
“I’m so glad we did it. It has been amazing,” said Ms Alicea.
According to NHS World Language Department Chair Liz Ward, who oversaw activities for the Spain delegation, there were 19 students and two educators in the Spanish delegation and 20 students and two educators in the French delegation.
“This group has been phenomenal,” said Ms Ward, near the end of the Spain delegation visit.
Later this month delegations from NHS are scheduled to visit France and India during the district’s April vacation.