- Papa Al’s A Family Business Is A Family Favorite
- Business Buzz: Labels Plus Tags Opens In Sandy Hook
- We didn’t have any luck — or we should say our readers didn’t have any luck — with last week’s challenge, so we are offering it again this week, with a hint: If you are having a hard time reading the writing over the front door of this part
- Tag-A-Gift To Brighten Christmas For Newtown’s Children
- Animal Center Dogs Need Homes
- Adopt From Kitten Associates
- As Black Friday Shades Thursday
Softball Team Soars To Title Game
The Newtown Hawks 12U softball team traveled to Bloomfield and played in the United States Specialty Sports Association Fastpitch Nation Fall Classic II tournament last weekend. The Hawks played three games on Saturday and ended up with the third seed in single elimination play on Sunday.
In the semifinal game against the Seymour Tradition, the Hawks came back from three runs down to win an exciting game, 6-5. Allie Eurell pitched a complete game against a very good hitting team and the Hawks’ infield played stellar defense (Abby Pereira at third base, Rachel Daum at shortstop, Rylee Mulligan at second, Erin Burns at first, and Tess Mubarek at the catcher position), making 13 of the 15 outs in the game (many in spectacular fashion).
In the championship game the Hawks played very inspired ball but could not keep up with the pitching and defense of a very talented New England Explosion team in an 8-0 loss.
Rachel O’Grady and Kaysie Fisher delivered strong pitching performances, and Joy Metzger, Olivia Mubarek, and Julia Anderson played strong defense in a very difficult outfield and all contributed with key hits.
The newly-formed Hawks made it to the championships of both of their tournaments this fall.