- Dancers Win State Championship To Highlight Busy Weekend For NHS Teams
- Solid Season For Ice Fishing On Taunton Lake
- Girls’ Hockey Team Caps Season With Victory
- Gymnastics Team Comes Out On Top
- Swim Team Gets Two Pool Records In Win Over Barlow
- Boys’ Basketball Team Qualifies For SWC Tourney With Win Over Stratford
- Wrestling Team Has Standouts In Class LL Championships
Newtown High School’s girls’ and boys’ track and field teams participated in the Yale Classic in New Haven, January 19 and 20. They had some standout performances, highlighted by Carly Swierbut breaking South-West Conference records in the 300 and 400 meter dash events, and Brett Deri setting a school record in the 55 high hurdles. Results are as follows:
Swierbut placed third in the 300 with a time of 40.64, and second in the 400 in 57.99, breaking the SWC marks in the process. Marley Marsten was tenth in the shot-put with a throw of 33-09.50. The 4×800 relay of Olivia Hage, Sarah Houle, Grace Corcoran, Camille Johnson was 11th in 10:40.87.
Deri set a school record in the 55 high hurdles with a time of 8.06. Christian Lestik had a PR in the one mile with a time of 4:40.30. Zach Crebbin got fifth place, clearing 6-1 in the high jump. Grant Moxham got a PR in the 300 with a time of 37.91 seconds. The 4×800 team of Joel Duval, Christian Lestik, Evan Hildenbrand, and Nick Jacobs placed tenth overall in the Connecticut Division with a time of 8:35.36.