- Students Reunite With Didi Maa During Newtown Visit
- Newtown Continuing Education’s SMART Camp Begins
- Newtown High School Fourth Quarter Honor Roll
- Hands And Hearts Make Sweet Memories For Departing St Rose Principal, Sister Colleen
- School Board Celebrates Teacher And Paraeducator Of The Year Awardees
- Fraser Woods Montessori School Ceremonies Mark Graduation
- Madness At Middle Gate, To The Delight Of All
St Rose of Lima School kindergarten students in Donna Rahtelli’s class welcomed four members of the Newtown Police Department to their classroom on October 2 to show appreciation for what they do.
The police officers were treated to a breakfast of doughnuts and coffee, and almost immediately after arriving, they sat down at different tables with the children to play games, like Uno and Candy Land. One table played with Play-Doh. Ofc Monckton was greeted by his son, John, a student in the class, when he entered. John jumped with excitement as he welcomed his father to his classroom.
The breakfast was part of the class’s service project. Mrs Rahtelli said the class will celebrate Newtown Police officers once a month throughout the school year.
Each class in the school completes different service projects. For example, third grade students will honor veterans and sixth grade students will support Danbury Hospital though activities during the school year.
When his fellow police members were called away to answer a call, Mr Monckton explained, “They are going to go help.”