- Fans Have A Lot To Cheer (And Bark) For At Sound Tigers Hockey Game
- Medley Relay Team Sets School Record As Hawks Make Splash In State Meet
- Showing Strength: Nighthawk Football Team Wins Nutmeg Games Weight Lifting Championship
- Furious Waning-Seconds Comeback Stymied As Hawks Fall In Semis
- Newtown High Boys’ Basketball Team Finds Recipe For State Playoff Success
- Senior League Event To Support Memorial Sloan Kettering Moved To Thursday
- Skating Rink Poll Results Are In
Newtown High School had strong representation in New England regional championship indoor track and field and wrestling action during the first weekend of March.
At the Reggie Lewis Track & Athletic Center in Boston, on March 3, Carly Swierbut placed sixth in the 300 meter dash with a time of 40.71 and seventh in the 55 dash, sprinting to the finish in 7.37 seconds.
Marley Marston came in 16th in the shot-put competition with a throw of 36-05.50.
Zach Crebbin placed tenth in the high jump event, clearing the bar at 6-foot-3, and set a Newtown High record in the process.
On the wrestling mats, at Providence Career & Technical Academy in Providence, R.I. on March 2, Joe Zeller competed in the 285-pound weight division. Zeller wrestled admirably in a 5-3 loss to an eventual finalist and a 4-0 setback to an opponent who reached the final eight of the division. Zeller was not pinned all season en route to runner-up finishes in the South-West Conference and Class LL state championships.