- Papa Al’s A Family Business Is A Family Favorite
- Business Buzz: Labels Plus Tags Opens In Sandy Hook
- Conn. Medical Marijuana Business Group Discussed
- Oh, for the good old days when people would stop Christmas shopping when they ran out of money.
- Winterset Ski Club Holds Raffle Night
- NMS Visitors Offered Students A Sample Of Career Options
- Nighthawks qualify for state playoffs with win over Immaculate—NHS Gridders’ Season Will Continue After SWC Championship Game
Nighthawk Swim Team Competes In State Meets
Newtown High School’s girls’ swimming and diving team participated in the Class LL state championship and State Open in mid November. The Nighthawks, with 244 points, came in ninth among 20 teams in the LL finals. Greenwich, with 816, won the title. The diving competition took place at Middletown High on November 12, and the swimming events were held November 14 at Wesleyan University in Middletown.
The State Open, featuring the best of the swimmers from all of the schools in each of the four class sizes, took place November 17 at Yale University in New Haven. The Nighthawks scored 44.5 points for 28th place among 52 teams. Darien, with 548, was first.
Newtown’s top ten results from the LL championship are as follows (event, placement, name, time, points):
50 yard freestyle: 7. Amy Martinelli, 25.05, 22 points.
100 free: 8. Martinelli, 54.55, 21 points.
200 free relay: 8. Eliza Eggleston, Zoe Eggleston, Amanda Mele, and Martinelli, 1:43.17, 42 points.
400 free relay: 9. Eliza Eggleston, Abby Fagerholm, Megan McDonald, and Martinelli, 3:48.57, 38 points.
Diving: 3. Noelle Benson, score of 349.30, 26 points.
Newtown’s results from the State Open are as follows:
200 medley relay: 22. Kelley Baylis, Zoe Eggleston, McDonald, and Mele, 1:58.91, 6 points.
50 free: 20. Martinelli, 25.22, 4.5 points.
100 free: 23. Martinelli, 55.390, 2 points.
200 free relay: 15. Eliza Eggleston, Zoe Eggleston, Mele, and Martinelli, 1:43.22, 20 points.
400 free relay: 21. Eliza Egglestin, Fagerholm, McDonald, and Martinelli, 3:49.31, 8 points.
Diving: 21 Benson, 4 points.