Newtown Historical Society will host the final regular open house of the year on Sunday, November 19, from noon until 4 pm....Read Full Article
- Bald Eagle Observation Post At Shepaug Dam Opening Saturday
- Saturday Danbury Music Centre 'Nutcracker' Performances Canceled; Sunday Performance Added
- NewArts ‘Christmas Carol’ Wrapping This Weekend
- Ashurst Dancers Capture Regional Titles At Oireachtas; Top Ten Spots Also Earned
- Connecticut Choral Society To Open Holiday Series With Newtown Performance
- Christmas Sale Underway At Abbey Of Regina Laudis
- Newtown Well Represented In Golden Anniversary Presentation Of DMC ‘Nutcracker’
The Matthew Curtiss House, at 44 Main Street, will be open on Sunday, December 3, from noon until 4, in conjunction with the Newtown Youth & Family Services Holiday Festival House Tour, according to Newtown Historical Society.
The house is maintained as a house museum by the historical society, and is home to a large collection of artifacts. As the house was a residence until the 1970s, the society has chosen to have relics of all three centuries of the house’s existence as a residence on display rather than limiting items to the Colonial and early national periods of the building’s early existence.
Decorated for the holidays, the open house will also feature music by Newtown music teacher Grant Ossendryver. Costumed docents will lead tours of the house and the collections of the historical society, or visitors are free to tour the house on their own.
Admission is free, but donations will be accepted. Visit newtownhistory.org or call 203-426-5937 for additional information.