- Concert Preview: Seasoned Songwriters Bonoff & Taylor Teaming For Playhouse Gig
- Wild(cat) Win: Baseball Team Walks Off Against Bethel
- New Kindergarten And First Grade Math Curriculum For Newtown Students
- The Victory Garden Begins Preparations For New Growing Season With New Leaders
- Sandy Hook Permanent Memorial Commission In Need Of New Chairman
- Sometimes Hard-Fought Losses Are Better Than Lopsided Wins
- NHS Girls’ Lacrosse Team Defeats Conference Rivals With Ease
NOTE (Tuesday, October 24; 1:15 pm): This story has been updated to reflect the correct name of the utility that controls the local natural gas line.
* * * * *
Newtown Hook & Ladder and Botsford Fire Rescue firefighters are on the scene this morning at a fire reportedly involving utility wires and the gas line in the area of 55 Cedar Hill Road.
Initially dispatched as a brush fire, the first firefighters arriving in the area found a primary utility line burning in the roadway. Eversource was contacted at that time, due to the wires being involved.
A short time later it was reported that the fire had burned close enough to the gas line to merit additional response. Eversource has been also contacted concerning the gas line, and homes in the area are being evacuated due to the presence of the fire.
A Code RED is being set up to alert anyone within 1,000 feet of the fire to evacuate. Approximately 55 residences should receive the notification.
The cause of the fire is not yet known. No injuries have been reported. Newtown Volunteer Ambulance has been dispatched to help with the evacuation of one elderly resident in the affected area.
Newtown Police are working to divert traffic, and help with evacuations.
This is a developing story. Updates will be posted when they become available.