- Late Addition To NFA Calendar: Family Fun Hike, Saturday
- Hometown Foundation Benefit Planned To Honor Memory Of Fallen SEAL, Brookfield Native
- Housatonic Valley Waldorf School Hosts Free Puppet Show
- New Meeting Location For Local Friends Of Counted Embroidery Chapter
- Free Screening Scheduled Of Award-Winning Family Leave Crisis Documentary
- Controversial Masterpiece Next In Someday Cinema Series
- Happy Hearts Of Hope News: Local Organization Looking Back & Planning Ahead
“Be prepared” is a good thing for people of all ages to remember, especially senior citizens, say members of Friends Of Newtown Seniors (FONS).
So with that in mind, FONS — in cooperation with Newtown Commission on Aging and through a grant — is offering the final series of self-defense classes for resident senior citizens. There is no charge to participate.
FONS Chair John Boccuzzi says that those new to the program as well as those who have taken part in other self defense classes are welcome. Students must be at least age 60 for the classes, which will again be taught by Ari Friedman.
Mr Friedman has 20-plus years of martial arts and self-defense experience as well as more than a decade in the heath and wellness field. He specializes in senior health, functional movement, and medically monitored fitness.
Sessions will be Tuesdays and Thursdays, September 5-21, and each will begin at 1:30 pm. This series will be presented at Sunshine Fitness, located within Highland Plaza at 123 South Main Street.
Those attending are asked to commit to all six sessions. Registration and additional information is available at firstname.lastname@example.org.