Each year The Garden Club of Newtown holds several workshops to create the many items sold at its Holiday Greens and Gifts Sale, traditionally presented the first Saturday in December....Read Full Article
- Town Players Reveal 2018 Season, Update Website
- Woman’s Club To Host Local Author Verna For Next Afternoon Tea Event
- Multimedia Artist, Group President To Present Next SCAN Program
- Garden Planning For Frosty Months, Tuesday With Garden Club
- Connecticut Choral Society Spring Auditions Scheduled
- Late Addition To NFA Calendar: Family Fun Hike, Saturday
- Hometown Foundation Benefit Planned To Honor Memory Of Fallen SEAL, Brookfield Native
The Garden Club of Newtown will host a program titled “Serenity by Design — Serenity, Simplicity & Delight in the Garden,” presented by Jan Johnsen of Johnsen Landscapes & Pool of Mount Kisco, N.Y., on Tuesday, February 28. The public is invited, free of charge.
Ms Johnsen studied landscape architecture at the University of Hawaii, worked at a firm in Japan, and received her horticultural training from a Versailles-trained French gardener at Mohonk Mountain House in New York.
She teaches at New York Botanical Garden, where she was voted Instructor of the Year. She was also an adjunct professor at Columbia University for seven years. Her landscapes have appeared in many magazines and books.
A designer and the author of Heaven is a Garden — Designing Serene Outdoor Spaces for Inspiration and Reflection, Ms Johnsen is interested in outdoor space and its effect upon everyone’s well being. Garden Design magazine featured her advice in its 2016 Serene Spaces issue.
After her presentation Ms Johnsen will be signing copies of her newest book, The Spirit of Stone — 101 Practical and Creative Stonescaping Ideas for your Garden. She will also have copies of Heaven is a Garden available for purchase and autographing.
The program will begin at 1 pm, in the Olga Knoepke Memorial Meeting Room at C.H. Booth Library, 25 Main Street.