- Dance Squad Motivated To Win SWC Title
- Newtown Girls Hit The Ice For Another Hockey Season
- Nighthawk Athletes Recognized By State And SWC
- Conway Overcomes Severe Foot Injury For Redemption On Playing Fields
- Cheer Squad Heads To National Competition
- Mary Hufziger’s Senior Season Caps Decade Of Family Success In Nighthawk Pool
- Girls' Soccer Coach Honored Again
Newtown High School’s cross country teams swept the competition in an October 10 home meet, on the Fairfield Hills trails adjacent to Reed School. This was the team’s final meet before the October 18 South-West Conference championships.
The girls’ squad defeated Weston 18-39, New Milford 20-39, and Bunnell of Stratford 15-50.
Emily Tressler won the race in a time of 19:51, and Lu Hage was runner-up in 20:44. Other top Nighthawk results are as follows: 4. Hallie Filan 20:55, 5. Cate Norton 21:29, 11. Gloria Rowley 22:18, 13. Eirenie Athanasoulis 22:29, 14. Courtney Henchcliffe 22:31.
The boys beat Weston 14-38, New Milford 25-30, and Bunnell 15-50 and clinched the South-West Conference’s Colonial Division championship.
Ryan Escoda had Newtown’s fastest time, and was second in 16:44. Nick Jacobs placed third in 16:56, and Joel Duval was fifth in 17:13. Other top NHS runners are as follows: 8. Max Bloomquist 17:30, 11. Jack Kuligowski 17:52, 15. Christian Lestik 18:23, 16. Josh Bent 18:29, 17. Alex Wong 18:29.