Newtown news of 25, 50, 75 and 100 years ago, from the files of The Newtown Bee....Read Full Article
- Track Athletes Stand Out In SCC Coaches Invite And SWC Meet
- Nighthawks Swim Past Bethel
- In Game Of Runs, Boys’ Cagers Pull Away Against Host Falcons
- Nighthawk Girls’ Basketball Team Wins Two Of Three Games, But Loss To Saddle River May be Most Meaningful
- Nighthawks Celebrate Occhipinti's 100th Career Win, Grapplers Shine In Tourney
- Nighthawk Hockey Players Record Hat-Tricks In Wins
- Great Start For Chaos-Causing Newtown High School Boys’ Basketball Team
The Black Swan Newtown Women’s Softball League team claimed the championship with a 10-4 triumph over Reach, at Treadwell Park, on August 18.
The game was played in damp, sometimes rainy, conditions. Black Swan’s offense was strong top to bottom, with everybody contributing hits.
Emma MacHugh delivered two hits, including a double, and scored a run. Kayla Mesko doubled and scored. Melissa Fracker smacked three hits, including a triple, and scored twice. Rosie Jackman delivered a trio of hits, including a double, and scored a run. Melissa Shepard had four hits, including a triple, and scored a run. Rivkah Berkman had a hit and run scored. Ashley Kuligowski had two hits and was strong in the field at the shortstop position. Laura Comerford and Julia Truchsess both had two hits. Catcher Annie Hoffman contributed two hits and a run scored, in addition to making a nice tag out at home plate.
“It’s one of the best bunch of women I’ve had the opportunity to play with,” said Shepard, who has played with this group for ten summers.
Reach’s Lynn Bell had two hits and drove in a run. Kathy Piccini tripled and scored. Shelby Rotunda had two hits and drove in a pair. Katie Fawley singled twice.