- Turkey Trot Road Restrictions For Thanksgiving Day
- Unified Sports Provides Opportunity For Students To Grow
- BOE Celebrates Unified Sports Leaders
- Nighthawks Sign National Letters Of Intent To Play In College
- Western Connecticut Hockey Program Hosts Rangers Alumni Assist Game
- Online Registration For Turkey Trot Ends Nov. 18; In-Person Sessions Nov. 21-22
- Newtown High Records Set In State Swim Championships
The Black Swan Newtown Women’s Softball League team claimed the championship with a 10-4 triumph over Reach, at Treadwell Park, on August 18.
The game was played in damp, sometimes rainy, conditions. Black Swan’s offense was strong top to bottom, with everybody contributing hits.
Emma MacHugh delivered two hits, including a double, and scored a run. Kayla Mesko doubled and scored. Melissa Fracker smacked three hits, including a triple, and scored twice. Rosie Jackman delivered a trio of hits, including a double, and scored a run. Melissa Shepard had four hits, including a triple, and scored a run. Rivkah Berkman had a hit and run scored. Ashley Kuligowski had two hits and was strong in the field at the shortstop position. Laura Comerford and Julia Truchsess both had two hits. Catcher Annie Hoffman contributed two hits and a run scored, in addition to making a nice tag out at home plate.
“It’s one of the best bunch of women I’ve had the opportunity to play with,” said Shepard, who has played with this group for ten summers.
Reach’s Lynn Bell had two hits and drove in a run. Kathy Piccini tripled and scored. Shelby Rotunda had two hits and drove in a pair. Katie Fawley singled twice.