The Ashurst Academy of Irish Dance recently brought home four titles and 13 top ten spots at the New England Regional Irish Dance Championships,...Read Full Article
- New Beginnings St Patrick’s Day Event
- Avielle Foundation Promoting Next Two 'BrainStorm' Events
- Former Silvermine Director Offering Landscape Painting Demo, Next SCAN Program
- ‘Container Gardening Inside And Out’ With Town & Country, Bugbee
- Connecticut Authors Reading Series Presenting Poetry, Fiction, And Memoir For March
- ‘Visiting The Land Of Your Ancestors,’ With Genealogy Club Guide
- Benefit To Honor, Memorialize Local NAVY Seal
Ashurst Academy of Irish Dance recently celebrated its first year anniversary with a spectacular display of dancing in its end of the year production “Dance Around the World,” at Reed Intermediate School.
A cast of 70 students, ranging in level from beginner to championship, performed pieces of choreography based in Irish dancing but themed around a global city or county including the “Shieldmaidens of Sweden,” “Les Fleurs de Paris,” “Rhythms of Africa,” and “Fairies of Killarney.”
The production was choreographed and directed by the academy’s co-directors, Craig Ashurst and Christina Dolzall-Ashurst of Newtown. The couple, who are champion dancers themselves, met on tour with Riverdance and married in 2014 before settling in Newtown and opening the academy last year.
The production also featured the academy’s competitive students, whose accomplishments during the past 12 months have included New England Regional Championships in November, qualifying places for the National Championships, podium placements in the traditional set championships, and top ten placements in the team competitions.
For information on the Ashurst Academy of Irish Dance, with studios in Newtown, Danbury, and Southbury, visit ashurstirishdance.com or call 203-928-0689.