- CROP Walk: Seeking To End World Hunger, One Step At A Time
- Someday Cinema Series To Present ‘Vertigo’ and ‘High Anxiety’
- Newtown Forward Presents Free Screening Of ‘A Plastic Ocean’ At WCSU
- Newtown Forward To Present Free Screening Of ‘A Plastic Ocean’ At WCSU
- CHB Foundation Announces Fundraising Pet Photo Contest
- Weekend Tag Sale Will Raise Funds For St Rose Memorial Bell Garden
- Candy Collection For Main Street At Big Y
Ashurst Academy of Irish Dance recently celebrated its first year anniversary with a spectacular display of dancing in its end of the year production “Dance Around the World,” at Reed Intermediate School.
A cast of 70 students, ranging in level from beginner to championship, performed pieces of choreography based in Irish dancing but themed around a global city or county including the “Shieldmaidens of Sweden,” “Les Fleurs de Paris,” “Rhythms of Africa,” and “Fairies of Killarney.”
The production was choreographed and directed by the academy’s co-directors, Craig Ashurst and Christina Dolzall-Ashurst of Newtown. The couple, who are champion dancers themselves, met on tour with Riverdance and married in 2014 before settling in Newtown and opening the academy last year.
The production also featured the academy’s competitive students, whose accomplishments during the past 12 months have included New England Regional Championships in November, qualifying places for the National Championships, podium placements in the traditional set championships, and top ten placements in the team competitions.
For information on the Ashurst Academy of Irish Dance, with studios in Newtown, Danbury, and Southbury, visit ashurstirishdance.com or call 203-928-0689.