The Ashurst Academy of Irish Dance recently brought home four titles and 13 top ten spots at the New England Regional Irish Dance Championships,...Read Full Article
- Bald Eagle Observation Post At Shepaug Dam Opening Saturday
- Saturday Danbury Music Centre 'Nutcracker' Performances Canceled; Sunday Performance Added
- NewArts ‘Christmas Carol’ Wrapping This Weekend
- Ashurst Dancers Capture Regional Titles At Oireachtas; Top Ten Spots Also Earned
- Connecticut Choral Society To Open Holiday Series With Newtown Performance
- Christmas Sale Underway At Abbey Of Regina Laudis
- Newtown Well Represented In Golden Anniversary Presentation Of DMC ‘Nutcracker’
Ashurst Academy of Irish Dance recently celebrated its first year anniversary with a spectacular display of dancing in its end of the year production “Dance Around the World,” at Reed Intermediate School.
A cast of 70 students, ranging in level from beginner to championship, performed pieces of choreography based in Irish dancing but themed around a global city or county including the “Shieldmaidens of Sweden,” “Les Fleurs de Paris,” “Rhythms of Africa,” and “Fairies of Killarney.”
The production was choreographed and directed by the academy’s co-directors, Craig Ashurst and Christina Dolzall-Ashurst of Newtown. The couple, who are champion dancers themselves, met on tour with Riverdance and married in 2014 before settling in Newtown and opening the academy last year.
The production also featured the academy’s competitive students, whose accomplishments during the past 12 months have included New England Regional Championships in November, qualifying places for the National Championships, podium placements in the traditional set championships, and top ten placements in the team competitions.
For information on the Ashurst Academy of Irish Dance, with studios in Newtown, Danbury, and Southbury, visit ashurstirishdance.com or call 203-928-0689.