- Woodworking Shed Heavily Damaged In Accidental Blaze
- Julio Tardim Sworn In As New Police Officer, Filling Roster
- Town Welcomes New Library Director Karen Tatarka
- Update Shared With School Board On A Look At Potential Growth For Middle School Athletic Programs
- NHS Winter Percussion Earns Two First Place Scores; ‘Home Show’ Saturday
- Concert Preview: Zombies Bringing Seminal ‘Odessey And Oracle’ To Life At Playhouse
- High School Teams Improvise As Snow Welcomes Spring Athletes
Newtown High School wrestlers Joe Accousti and Tom Long both recently earned their 100th career victories, and the Nighthawk grapplers celebrated reaching the century mark in wins during the team’s match with visiting Masuk of Monroe, on January 5. The Nighthawks defeated Masuk 43-17.
The Nighthawks look to carry their winning ways into a big match with South-West Conference rival New Milford, when the Green Wave visit NHS on Wednesday, January 11, at 7 pm.
New Milford dethroned Newtown to capture the SWC title last winter, after the Hawks had ended nearly a decade of continuous bragging rights atop the conference for the Wave.
Weight division results from the Masuk match are as follows:
106: Fritz Maurath wins by forfeit.
113: Evan Rooney defeats Masuk’s Luke Larivierre (injury default).
120: Aiden Occhipinti loses 4-3 decision to Masuk’s Mike Fedorko.
126: Justin Bogdanoff loses 15-0 technical fall to Salvatore Gambino.
132: Double forfeit.
138: Aaron Occhipinti 8-0 major decision over Masuk’s Curtis Fedorko.
145: Owen Walsh Jason 4-1 decision over Masuk’s Jason Lobdell.
152: Ed Lovely pins Masuk’s Brendan Ottan in 8 seconds.
160: Alex Stavola wins by forfeit.
170: Double forfeit.
182: Joe Accousti pins Masuk’s CJ Zaccarigini in 49 seconds.
195: Doug Carriero pinned by Masuk’s Justin Senna in 1:58.
220: Tom Long pins Rob Krawjewiski in 1:39.
285: Joe Zeller loses 9-6 decision to Tim Kwochka.