- Martial Arts Provides Opportunities For Wide Range Of Participants
- Newtown Police Seek Public Help After Two Robberies, Apparent Hate Crime
- Girls’ Basketball Team Wins Two Games, Clinches Playoff Spot
- Cartelli Nets Three As Hawks Skate To Victory
- FUN Plans Benefit Concert, More Activities After Best Year Ever
- Pet Bereavement Support Group Coming To NVS
- Southbury Man Killed In Mt Pleasant Road Motorcycle Accident
Newtown High School wrestlers Joe Accousti and Tom Long both recently earned their 100th career victories, and the Nighthawk grapplers celebrated reaching the century mark in wins during the team’s match with visiting Masuk of Monroe, on January 5. The Nighthawks defeated Masuk 43-17.
The Nighthawks look to carry their winning ways into a big match with South-West Conference rival New Milford, when the Green Wave visit NHS on Wednesday, January 11, at 7 pm.
New Milford dethroned Newtown to capture the SWC title last winter, after the Hawks had ended nearly a decade of continuous bragging rights atop the conference for the Wave.
Weight division results from the Masuk match are as follows:
106: Fritz Maurath wins by forfeit.
113: Evan Rooney defeats Masuk’s Luke Larivierre (injury default).
120: Aiden Occhipinti loses 4-3 decision to Masuk’s Mike Fedorko.
126: Justin Bogdanoff loses 15-0 technical fall to Salvatore Gambino.
132: Double forfeit.
138: Aaron Occhipinti 8-0 major decision over Masuk’s Curtis Fedorko.
145: Owen Walsh Jason 4-1 decision over Masuk’s Jason Lobdell.
152: Ed Lovely pins Masuk’s Brendan Ottan in 8 seconds.
160: Alex Stavola wins by forfeit.
170: Double forfeit.
182: Joe Accousti pins Masuk’s CJ Zaccarigini in 49 seconds.
195: Doug Carriero pinned by Masuk’s Justin Senna in 1:58.
220: Tom Long pins Rob Krawjewiski in 1:39.
285: Joe Zeller loses 9-6 decision to Tim Kwochka.