UPDATE (9:40 am): Health Department Director Donna Culbert has cleared Newtown General Store to reopen for business.
***** Newtown Hook & Ladder, Sandy Hook and Hawleyville firefighters were alerted at 7:07 am Monday of a fire at Newtown General Store at 43 Main Street. Initially reported as a structure fire, the incident was soon downgraded to an “appliance fire.” Deputy Fire Marshal Rich Frampton said that a gas-fired cooking range had ignited while in use. There were no injuries. Damage was minimal. Health Department Director Donna Culbert was planning to be at the store by 10 am, she told The Bee Monday morning. She hoped to be able to clear the business to reopen “in time for lunch traffic,” she said.
BETHLEHEM (AP) — The Paradis and D’Avino family knows guns. They’ve owned them and enjoyed hunting and target shooting. Shooting was just part of life, like the time after Thanksgiving dinner in 2009 when a guest of husband and wife Peter Paradis and Mary D’Avino brought out an AR-15 rifle he had in the car. Together, with their children, the couple spent time shooting at a tree in their backyard on five acres off heavily wooded Route 61. Paradis and his stepdaughter, Hannah D’Avino, recalled that holiday afternoon recently. They sat their kitchen table and reminisced about Hannah’s sister, Rachel D’Avino. Rachel’s murder has not marred her family’s memory of that holiday afternoon. For a family of marksmen, it also has not changed their views about guns.
HARTFORD (AP) — Scheduled to be sentenced October 15, the New York City woman who posed as the aunt of a child killed on 12/14 is seeking probation, arguing she’s already been punished by the media.Nouel Alba, 37, of the Bronx pleaded guilty in June on federal charges of wire fraud and making false statements.Starting on the day of the shootings, authorities said, Alba used Facebook, email, text messages and telephone calls to falsely claim to be the aunt of 6-year-old victim Noah Pozner.
HARTFORD (AP) — The state’s Freedom of Information Commission on Wednesday ordered the release of the 911 tapes from last year’s shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School, ruling in favor of an appeal by The Associated Press for access to records withheld by investigators. The recordings will not be made available immediately. The prosecutor leading the investigation of the massacre, Danbury State’s Attorney Stephen Sedensky III, said the commission’s decision will be appealed in Connecticut’s courts.
First Selectman Pat Llodra and Interim School Superintendent John Reed sat for a video interview September 24 to respond to questions and to help residents understand the implications of the upcoming October 5 referendum. On that Saturday, between 6 am and 8 pm, voters will be as asked to accept or reject a gift of up to $50 million to remediate and demolish the existing Sandy Hook building, and to build a new, state-of-the-art school facility, roughly on the same site. The officials sat down with The Bee shortly after the first of several public information sessions and extended office hours for residents who want to come in and discuss concerns or ask questions about the impending project.
While cleaning out a decayed efficiency apartment in a barn at a Poverty Hollow Road property in Newtown in April 2010, Jordan Wright of Redding made a grisly discovery: the skeletal remains of a woman who had formerly lived at that property and who had been reported missing to police by her husband 26 years earlier. Mr Wright, who owns the 89 Poverty Hollow Road property with his parents, told an eight-man, four-woman jury in Danbury Superior Court that to be certain his suspicions were correct, he contacted his father, Kenneth, who is a physician, who then confirmed that a large bone that had been uncovered was a human femur or thighbone. Jordan Wright was one of five witnesses who spoke on Thursday, September 27, during the first day of testimony at the murder trial of John Heath, 70, of Bridgewater.
WASHINGTON, DC – US Attorney General Eric Holder said Friday, September 27, that the Justice Department’s Bureau of Justice Assistance (BJA) will provide $150,000 in 2013 fiscal year funding to Newtown to pay for two police positions to ensure school safety, such as school resource officers. “This grant funding will help to offer critical support for law enforcement and essential services to the community as Newtown comes back from a heartbreaking tragedy,” Mr Holder said in a statement.“Just over nine months after the senseless mass shooting at Sandy Hook, we remain committed to providing every resource we can to ensure that the children of Newtown can feel safe and secure at school and elsewhere...
Is your home suitable for solar power? Residents had a chance Tuesday evening to learn more about the Solarize Connecticut, Solarize Newtown launch, “a unique discount buying program that uses a tiered-pricing structure, town-supported education and ...
The FunSpace playground at Dickinson Park will close on October 7. Parks and Recreation Department crews will begin its demolition in preparation for construction of new play features there.
Recreatoin Director Amy Mangold met recently with Al Corsetti, vice president of Pat Corsetti Inc, the contractor recently awarded the bid for construction of the Elm Drive park. The $774,162 project is a combination of bonding, donation, and surcharge funding. “Construction should begin soon after,” Ms Mangold said. The new play space will be ADA accessible and accommodate wheelchairs.
Newtown’s Public Building and Site Commission (PBSC) introduced the design and engineering teams that will oversee the pending remediation and demolition of the existing Sandy Hook School, as well as coordinating the new school building project as it rolls out in the coming months. The panel also heard brief reports from project managers Aaron Krueger of Consigli Construction and Julia McFadden of Svigals + Partners.