NEW HAVEN (AP) — A portrait of a highly isolated young man with disruptions in his education is emerging as a state office investigating the Newtown shooter seeks the release of his school records.
Connecticut’s child advocate office is seeking Adam Lanza’s records as part of an investigation with its Child Fatality Review Panel into last year’s massacre of 26 people at Sandy Hook Elementary School. Lanza, 20, killed his mother before the massacre and committed suicide afterward.
Connecticut’s attorney general wants a judge to order Newtown school officials to release the records of the gunman who killed 26 people at an elementary school, including 20 first-grade students.
Attorney General George Jepsen wants Adam Lanza’s school records to be released to the state child advocate office so its Child Fatality Review Panel can examine the 12/14 attack.
The family of Lauren Rousseau, one of the four teachers lost on 12/14 -- and a former Starbucks barista -- have been joined by other family members of those killed, advocacy groups, local clergy, First Selectman Pat Llodra and several other state and federal officials signing a letter asking the global coffee company to ban guns from its retail shops. Nearly three dozen signatories already appear on the letter from the Newtown Coalition For Corporate Responsibility. The memo was dispatched two weeks after the Church Hill Starbucks closed early, preventing legally permitted gun owners from gathering there on what was being called "Stabucks Appreciation Day."
A July 29 letter from a state historic preservation official suggesting the remaining structures at Fairfield Hills could have historic value is riling local officials and could delay the planned demolition of Danbury Hall and the cluster of vacant residential homes adjacent to Mile Hill South.
The letter from Daniel Forrest of the State Historic Preservation Office was dispatched after the office was asked to comment on the demolition as part of qualifying criteria set forth by the Environmental Protection Agency, which provided the town a $200,000 grant that would cover most or all of the anticipated razing of Danbury Hall.
“On time and under budget” was the mantra being chanted by several presenters August 19 as the Board of Selectmen heard a report on a group of major projects in town either nearing completion or well under way.Public Building and Site Commission Chairman Robert Mitchell was first up to talk about the Hawley School boiler replacement project.
State police report that extended travel delays on Interstate 84 that occurred through the area on the afternoon of Wednesday, August 21, were caused by a police investigation into an apparent suicide that happened on westbound I-84, near Exit 5 in Danbury.
State police said they received reports that a 52-year-old man had been spotted walking eastbound against the flow of westbound traffic on I-84 at about 12:45 pm, after which the man was struck and killed by a tractor-trailer truck.
Newtown police this week continued seeking to find a missing man, Robert Hoagland, 50, of Sandy Hook, who was last seen inside the convenience store at the Mobil gas station at 62 Church Hill Road at about 5:30 am on Sunday, July 28.
Police said on Thursday, August 22, that they have been unable to locate the man.
The clopping of hooves echoes in the barn as Major Gordon J. Johnson leads Morgan, a latte-colored Rocky Mountain mix gelding, from the pasture to his stall. Morgan, said the major, is most likely to be the lead horse for the Second Company Governor’s Horse Guard when it steps off in the annual Newtown Labor Day Parade, Monday, September 2.
Since occupying the barns off of Trades Lane in Newtown in the early 1990s, Major Johnson, commandant of the Second Company Governor’s Horse Guard, said he believed the mounted militia had ridden in nearly every Newtown Labor Day Parade.
With two unanimous votes, the Board of Education hired an interim assistant principal for Newtown High School and an acting assistant principal for Sandy Hook Elementary School during its meeting on Tuesday, August 20.As Interim Superintendent of Schools John Reed explained, the US Department of Education’s School Emergency Response to Violence (SERV) grant is funding Brian Kirmil’s position as acting assistant principal for Sandy Hook School for the 2013-14 school year.
The Board of Selectmen learned August 19 that a large metal gate will replace the masonry barriers on Dickinson Drive that prevent vehicles from entering the former Sandy Hook School grounds.Prior to the meeting, First Selectman Pat Llodra told The Bee that the gate will be more of a visual deterrent to the occasional visitor or group that arrives hoping to see or access the now infamous site.