- Papa Al’s A Family Business Is A Family Favorite
- Business Buzz: Labels Plus Tags Opens In Sandy Hook
- Malloy Working On Plan For $365 Million Shortfall
- Book Signing By Newtown Author/Illustrator Jennifer Thermes
- Youth Field Hockey Team Caps Season With Win
- One Killed, One Injured In I-84 Crash
- Several Area Activities Will Mark World AIDS Day
Youth Field Hockey Team Caps Season With Win
Although Superstorm Sandy cut the Little Ladies Field Hockey season short, the youth Newtown team managed to squeeze in a final game against Bethel last week.
Newtown’s Little Ladies came out on top with a 2-0 win. In the first half, Megan Kelleher set up her own goal as she broke free from the Bethel defenders and hit the back of the cage. The second goal was scored by Lauren Zimmerman on a scramble in front of the net. That goal was created by the aggressive play of Julia Bogdanoff and Emily Dirga.
Tessa Leon-Gambetta and Olivia Butler shut down every attempt Bethel tried to make, both making some great saves and keeping Bethel from getting on the scoreboard. Newtown’s defense made sure the offense was on the attack for most of the game. Jillian Pieretti, Lindsey Merrifield, Allie Kelleher, and Katie Goyda supported the offense by shutting down Bethel’s midfield play and kept feeding the ball up to the offense.