- Track And Field Athletes Shine In State Open
- Occhipinti Wins Title, Zeller Second In State Wrestling Championships
- Girls’ Basketball Team Advances To Tournament Semis
- Nighthawk Wrestling Team Has Strong Postseason Performances
- Hockey Team Wins, Inches Closer To Playoff Berth
- Girls' Basketball Team Turns Tables On Panthers, Beats Lancers To Clinch Top Seed
- Sprint Medley Relay Contingent Sets School Record As Track Teams Compete In States
Newtown High School’s boys’ swim team visited Brookfield and came away with a 94-92 victory, on February 8.
With the win, the Nighthawks improved to 6-1 overall and also 6-1 in the South-West Conference; Brookfield dropped to 7-3 and 5-3.
The Nighthawks had eight first-place finishes en route to the victory over their SWC rivals.
In the 200 yard medley relay race, Newtown’s team of Peter Fagerholm, Colby Delia, Michael Annesley, and Xavier Williams was first with a time of 1:42.56.
David Lawrence had Newtown’s best time in the 100 freestyle, and placed second, clocking in at 1:55.13.
Fagerholm won the 200 individual medley in 2:04.33.
Delia was second in the 50 free with a time of 23.46.
Annesley won the 100 butterfly, making his final touch in 54.65.
Mason Suba won the 100 free in 51.84.
Lawrence was first in the 500, finishing the race in 5:09.84.
The 200 free relay of Annesley, Suba, Delia, and Lawrence was first in 1:36.56.
Fagerholm took the top spot in the 100 backstroke, clocking in at 56.91.
Delia was Newtown’s fastest swimmer in the 100 breaststroke and finished third in 1:06.38.
The 400 free relay comprising Suba, Rick Irving, Williams, and Fagerholm, was first in 3:28.93.
Newtown will visit Pomperug of Southbury on Tuesday, February 13, beginning at 6:30 pm. The regular season ends when the Hawks host Joel Barlow of Redding on Tuesday, February 20, at 7 pm.
The SWC championships will be held on the last day of February and second day of March. The diving competition is slated for Wednesday, February 28, at Weston High, beginning at 5:30 pm, and the swim events will unfold on Friday, March 2, at Masuk High in Monroe, starting at 5 pm.