- Newtown Elementary Schools Celebrate Literacy
- Newtown Continuing Education Classes Available
- Newtown Immaculate High School Student Earns National Scholastic Award
- Newtown Public Schools Announce Spring Concerts And Events
- Superintendent To Hold Open Hour For Budget Discussion With Public Monday
- New Kindergarten And First Grade Math Curriculum For Newtown Students
- Newtown’s PTA Reflections Program Winners Recognized At Schools
Interim Superintendent of Schools Dr Lorrie Rodrigue introduced members of the NHS dance team, coached by Cheryl Stenz, to the Board of Education at its meeting on March 6. The school board regularly celebrates staff and students at its meetings, and the NHS dance team was celebrated for earning the Jazz Division state championship on February 24 in Hamden.
The meeting was Dr Rodrigue’s first meeting since being appointed as superintendent of schools, which will be effective March 19.
“This is the fourth state title in five years for the Newtown High School dancers,” said Dr Rodrigue. “Congratulations to all the high school members of the team and their coach Cheryl Stenz.”
A video of the team performing at the state championship was played at the meeting before Athletic Director Matt Memoli shared his congratulations with the team.
“These girls practice almost every single day,” said Mr Memoli, adding that the team members demonstrate hard work and dedication.
Board Chair Michelle Embree Ku thanked the team for representing Newtown “so well” before each team member was given a certificate to mark the occasion.