- Bald Eagle Observation Post At Shepaug Dam Opening Saturday
- Saturday Danbury Music Centre 'Nutcracker' Performances Canceled; Sunday Performance Added
- NewArts ‘Christmas Carol’ Wrapping This Weekend
- Ashurst Dancers Capture Regional Titles At Oireachtas; Top Ten Spots Also Earned
- Connecticut Choral Society To Open Holiday Series With Newtown Performance
- Christmas Sale Underway At Abbey Of Regina Laudis
- Newtown Well Represented In Golden Anniversary Presentation Of DMC ‘Nutcracker’
Santa’s Sleigh — Engine 12-25, pulled by a decommissioned fire truck covered with holiday lights and a radio that only plays Christmas songs — will be at Sandy Hook Volunteer Fire & Rescue’s firehouse at 18-20 Riverside Road on Sunday, December 3. From noon until 9 pm, Santa will be offering free rides in his seasonal truck.
Santa (Tolland Fire Department member Glenn Johnson) spent a few hours offering the rides in Sandy Hook last year. He began planning his return almost immediately.
The fire truck will be followed by another special vehicle: a flatbed trailer that carries a sleigh, loaned by North Pole Fire Department, which will also take residents for rides. A team of decorative reindeer “pulls” the sleigh, which seats Santa and a few riders.
WPLR 99.1 FM will also be doing a live broadcast from the firehouse for at least part of the afternoon.
The rides will be offered free of charge. They will be first come, first served; reservations will not be taken, but Santa promises to make sure everyone gets a chance to go out on the sleigh.
Cider and hot chocolate will be served. Those planning to participate should bundle up — the sleigh is open to the elements, so it will be chilly for riders.
Donations for the fire company will be accepted.
In addition to the Santa Sleigh visit, Sandy Hook Fire & Rescue will be running its annual Christmas tree sale.
The annual fundraiser opened November 24, and continues until Christmas Eve (or while supplies last). Christmas trees, along with kissing balls, cemetery boxes, wreaths, and pine roping will all be available for purchase.
The tree sale will be operating weekdays, from 6 to 9 pm (and earlier by chance), and weekends from 9 am until 9 pm. Proceeds benefit the fire company.
For additional information call 203-270-4392 or visit sandyhookfire.com.