Town police are awaiting the results of an independent study on the functioning of the Newtown Police Department, which is being conducted to measure current attitudes, working conditions, and productivity, in seeking to learn how the organization can improve....Read Full Article
- Newtown Elementary Schools Celebrate Literacy
- Newtown Continuing Education Classes Available
- Newtown Immaculate High School Student Earns National Scholastic Award
- Newtown Public Schools Announce Spring Concerts And Events
- Superintendent To Hold Open Hour For Budget Discussion With Public Monday
- New Kindergarten And First Grade Math Curriculum For Newtown Students
- Newtown’s PTA Reflections Program Winners Recognized At Schools
A drill to relocate students from Newtown Middle School to the NYA Sports & Fitness Center on the Fairfield Hills campus will be conducted between 8 am and noon on April 11, according to the school district’s Director of Security Mark Pompano.
Mr Pompano wants parents to not to be alarmed when they see flashing lights or the drill in action that day.
Mr Pompano explained the drill will include practicing scan procedures for a controlled evacuation. Only students and parents who have volunteered to take part in the drill will be involved.
The Newtown Police Department and the Newtown Emergency Communications Center will also be conducting the drill along with the school district. Mr Pompano said the police will have vehicles with flashing lights at the school for the event.
According to Mr Pompano, the Newtown Emergency Communications Center will be putting out a “General Code Red For A Specific Section of Town” prior to the actual date of the drill, in order to notify community members in proximity of NMS of the actual drill date/time.
Practice events like the one planned for April 11 are part of the district’s ongoing process to improve safety in the Newtown Public Schools. The drill will be conducted during a school day, but Mr Pompano said it will be quick and students who have not volunteered with a parent will not be involved.