- Students Reunite With Didi Maa During Newtown Visit
- Newtown Continuing Education’s SMART Camp Begins
- Newtown High School Fourth Quarter Honor Roll
- Hands And Hearts Make Sweet Memories For Departing St Rose Principal, Sister Colleen
- School Board Celebrates Teacher And Paraeducator Of The Year Awardees
- Fraser Woods Montessori School Ceremonies Mark Graduation
- Madness At Middle Gate, To The Delight Of All
A drill to relocate students from Newtown Middle School to the NYA Sports & Fitness Center on the Fairfield Hills campus will be conducted between 8 am and noon on April 11, according to the school district’s Director of Security Mark Pompano.
Mr Pompano wants parents to not to be alarmed when they see flashing lights or the drill in action that day.
Mr Pompano explained the drill will include practicing scan procedures for a controlled evacuation. Only students and parents who have volunteered to take part in the drill will be involved.
The Newtown Police Department and the Newtown Emergency Communications Center will also be conducting the drill along with the school district. Mr Pompano said the police will have vehicles with flashing lights at the school for the event.
According to Mr Pompano, the Newtown Emergency Communications Center will be putting out a “General Code Red For A Specific Section of Town” prior to the actual date of the drill, in order to notify community members in proximity of NMS of the actual drill date/time.
Practice events like the one planned for April 11 are part of the district’s ongoing process to improve safety in the Newtown Public Schools. The drill will be conducted during a school day, but Mr Pompano said it will be quick and students who have not volunteered with a parent will not be involved.