- Getting Ready For Kickoff: Youth Football And Cheer Season Begins With Preseason Drills
- Steve George Takes Over As Seymour Head Coach On Interim Basis
- Raising Their Games: Nighthawk Baseball Players Ready To Compete At Collegiate Level
- Football Season Preparation Well Underway
- Volleyball For NHS Freshmen
- Fall Youth Field Hockey Registration
- Newtown Thunder Finishes Season In Second Place In ‘A’ Division
Newtown High School’s boys’ volleyball team saw its Class L state playoff run and unbeaten ways end in a 3-0 (25-13, 25-20, 25-18) loss to Ridgefield in the semifinals at neutral site Fairfield Warde High, on June 4. Ardi Kodzodziku had six digs and 12 kills; Eric Moore logged six digs and 26 assists; Matt Principi had 11 digs; Robbie Morrill registered three digs and five kills; Silas Decker had five service points and four kills; and Liam Jones had seven kills; Nate Jones had three digs and three service points; Morten Sande added three kills; and Kyle Nicholson tacked on a trio of service points.
On June 2, the NHS baseball team dropped a 1-0 decision at host Ridgefield in the Class LL state tournament quarterfinals. Kyle Roche pitched six innings, allowing just the one run on four hits; he had six strikeouts and did not issue a walk. Ridgefield’s Matt Deluca two-hit the Hawks, yielding a double to Todd Petersen and a single to Harry Eppers.
The host boys’ lacrosse team, in other June 2 action, lost 9-8 in overtime to Glastonbury in the Class L quarterfinal round. Tucker Garrity, Aiden Coleman, and Layton Harrell all scored twice, and Jeff Garrity and Declan Sughrue also scored for Newtown.
Check back online and in the June 8 print edition of The Bee for more coverage of these games.