- Track Athletes Stand Out In SCC Coaches Invite And SWC Meet
- Nighthawks Swim Past Bethel
- In Game Of Runs, Boys’ Cagers Pull Away Against Host Falcons
- Nighthawk Girls’ Basketball Team Wins Two Of Three Games, But Loss To Saddle River May be Most Meaningful
- Nighthawks Celebrate Occhipinti's 100th Career Win, Grapplers Shine In Tourney
- Nighthawk Hockey Players Record Hat-Tricks In Wins
- Great Start For Chaos-Causing Newtown High School Boys’ Basketball Team
Newtown High School’s wrestling team fell 40-39 to host Joel Barlow of Redding on January 3, and won two and lost two in the East Haven Duals on January 6.
The Nighthawks and Barlow tied with 39 points but Barlow got the extra point and won by virtue of having more pins.
In the 120 pound weight division, Benjamin Watson won by pinfall in 1:18. At 126, Fritz Maurath won a 5-0 regular decision. At 132, Nik Accousti won via pin in 2:24.
The following Nighthawks won via forfeit: Aaron Occhipinti at 138, Steven Vournazos at 160, Doug Carreiro at 195, and Joe Zeller at 285.
In the East Haven Duals, Newtown defeated St Bernard/Norwich Tech 51-21 and Morgan 45-36. The Nighthawks fell 46-24 to Waterford and 57-15 to East Haven.
In the St Bernard/Norwich Tech match, at 126, Occhipinti won via pin in 1:21. At 132, Accousti won via pin in 2:40. At 138, Maurath won by pin in 1:17. At 145, Steve Leuci won by pin in 1:07. At 170, Vournazos won a 9-7 decision. At 182, Sebastian Vona won via pin in 39 seconds. At 285, Zeller won by pin in 7:46.
In the match with Morgan, at 120, Watson won by pin in 59 seconds. At 126, Occhipinti won via pin in 28 seconds. In the 132 division, Accousti won a 9-2 decision. At 138, Maurath won by pin in 3:32. At 145, Leuci won by pin in 55 seconds. At 152, Justin Bogdanoff won by pin in 5:05.
Against Waterford, at 126, Occhipinti won via pin in 4:40. At 132, Accousti won a 2-0 decision. At 138, Maurath won a 14-12 decision. At 145, Leuci won a 6-1 decision. At 285, Zeller won a 5-3 decision.
Newtown winners against East Haven were Occhipinti at 126, with a pin in 3:49, Accousti with a 7-6 decision at 132, Vournazos with a 12-6 decision at 160, and Zeller with a 1-0 decision at 285.