- Admirals Pile Up Wood Bat League Wins
- Golfers Support Scholarship Association In Annual Tournament
- Crebbin And Swierbut Represent Hawks In Nationals
- Final Run Of Sandy Hook 5K To Take Place July 21
- Freshmen Stepped Up To Assist In Newtown High Boys’ Lacrosse Team’s Winning Ways
- Newtown Players Help St Joseph Lacrosse Team To State Championship
- Special Olympics Torch Run, Friday
Newtown High School’s field hockey, girls’ volleyball, and girls’ soccer teams all posted victories on September 22. The boys’ soccer team earned a tie. Here are some of the highlights.
Field Hockey Blanks Weston
The field hockey team defeated visiting Weston 2-0 at Treadwell Park. Jordan Stofko opened the scoring and Emma Schmid-Tharnish padded the lead by converting off a nice cross from Ali Kelleher.
Newtown will visit Masuk of Monroe on Tuesday, September 26, beginning at 7 pm.
Spikers Sweep ND
On the volleyball court, the Nighthawks defeated host Notre Dame-Fairfield 3-0 (25-16, 25-13, 25-13). Newtown improved to 4-2 overall and 2-1 in South-West Conference play.
Kim Buttery had six aces and five digs, Rachel O’Grady had six aces and four digs, and Erin Burns had three kills and two blocks.
The girls’ and boys’ soccer teams continue to stay out of the loss column. The girls won 1-0 at Brookfield. Karsen Pirone scored off a Sarah Houle corner kick. Newtown’s boys’ team tied Brookfield 1-1 at Treadwell Park as Owen Baillargeon scored for the Nighthawks.
Newtown’s girls’ team will host Bunnell of Stratford at Blue & Gold Stadium, on Tuesday, September 26, starting at 7 pm. The boys will visit Bunnell at the same time.