- Softball Team Wins Big And Small
- Volleyball Team Stays Unbeaten, Clinches State Playoff Berth
- Lace Up Your Sneakers — Upcoming Races Announced
- Nighthawk Laxmen Pull Away Against Pomperaug And Win Close One Over Simsbury
- Girls' Lacrosse Team Battles In Nail-Biting Losses
- Wild(cat) Win: Baseball Team Walks Off Against Bethel
- Sometimes Hard-Fought Losses Are Better Than Lopsided Wins
Newtown High School’s hockey team defeated Mt Everett of Massachusetts 6-4, at Danbury Ice Arena, on December 23.
Jiyei Hawke scored twice, and David Brestovansky, Devin Marsh, Jack Stanton, and Jack Hanley had goals for Newtown.
Brestovansky, Hanley, Carl Bianco, Justin Moore, Phil Makris, Andrew Gardner, and Matthias Paltauf all had assists.
Newtown goaltender Justin Halmose made 13 saves. Newtown outshot Mt Everett 32-17.
The game was tied 2-2 after one period of play. Newtown lit the lamp four times in the middle stanza, beginning with Marsh’s tally just 27 seconds into the middle stanza.
Less than a minute after Stanton extended the lead to 4-2 with 9:40 to go in the second, Mt Everett cut the lead back to a goal. Hawke and Hanley scored 50 seconds apart late in the period to stretch the lead to 6-3.
The Nighthawks were coming off a 4-1 loss to North Haven, on December 20.
Newtown will visit Joel Barlow of Redding, at Danbury Ice Arena, on Wednesday, December 27, at 7:40 pm, in the annual Warrior Cup Game to benefit the Wounded Warrior Project.
Prior to the game, the Skate With the Hawks event will be held from 5:40 to 6:40 pm, for all youth hockey players from Newtown. Full equipment is required, and the event is free. Registration begins at 4:30 pm.