- Girls' Basketball Team Topples Immaculate
- NHS Wrestling Team Beats Pomperaug And Places Second At Eagle Classic
- Consumer Protection Warns About Super Bowl Ticket Scams
- Track Athletes Stand Out In SCC Coaches Invite And SWC Meet
- Nighthawks Swim Past Bethel
- In Game Of Runs, Boys’ Cagers Pull Away Against Host Falcons
- Nighthawk Girls’ Basketball Team Wins Two Of Three Games, But Loss To Saddle River May be Most Meaningful
Newtown High School’s hockey team defeated Mt Everett of Massachusetts 6-4, at Danbury Ice Arena, on December 23.
Jiyei Hawke scored twice, and David Brestovansky, Devin Marsh, Jack Stanton, and Jack Hanley had goals for Newtown.
Brestovansky, Hanley, Carl Bianco, Justin Moore, Phil Makris, Andrew Gardner, and Matthias Paltauf all had assists.
Newtown goaltender Justin Halmose made 13 saves. Newtown outshot Mt Everett 32-17.
The game was tied 2-2 after one period of play. Newtown lit the lamp four times in the middle stanza, beginning with Marsh’s tally just 27 seconds into the middle stanza.
Less than a minute after Stanton extended the lead to 4-2 with 9:40 to go in the second, Mt Everett cut the lead back to a goal. Hawke and Hanley scored 50 seconds apart late in the period to stretch the lead to 6-3.
The Nighthawks were coming off a 4-1 loss to North Haven, on December 20.
Newtown will visit Joel Barlow of Redding, at Danbury Ice Arena, on Wednesday, December 27, at 7:40 pm, in the annual Warrior Cup Game to benefit the Wounded Warrior Project.
Prior to the game, the Skate With the Hawks event will be held from 5:40 to 6:40 pm, for all youth hockey players from Newtown. Full equipment is required, and the event is free. Registration begins at 4:30 pm.