Health District Director Donna Culbert offers thanks on behalf of the Health Fair Committee for another successful event....Read Full Article
- Sewer Line Blockage Cleared In Sandy Hook Center
- First Selectmen's Requested Budget Invests In Roads, Personnel, Tech
- Major Mixed-Use Proposal Prompts WSA Review Of Municipal Sewage Treatment Capacity
- Meet Efraim Andersen, Newtown’s First Baby Of 2018
- Gain The Right Footing This Winter With The Athlete’s Source
- School Board Hears Report On Student Test Data
- Public School Budgets Reviewed During Two Board Of Education Workshops
Newtown Parks & Recreation Department has closed the beach at Eichler’s Cove for Thursday, July 13.
An announcement issued by the department just before 10:30 am Thursday said the closure was due to “high bacteria levels, per the Health Department.”
Located at 11 Old Bridge Road in Sandy Hook, Eichler’s Cove is a town-owned property that offers a marina, boat launch, beach, and picnic area. The property offers the only public access to Lake Zoar.
Donna Culbert, the director of Newtown Health District, said results will be available the morning of Friday, July 14, following tests being done today.
“You need close to 24 hours” in order to have proper results, she said Thursday.
“I’m disappointed,” she said, “We’ve been having a pretty good season.”
This is the first closure of the beach in 2017.
“We really don’t like to keep our public beach closed,” said Ms Culbert, who believes this week’s bacteria levels are a result of two natural events.
“There are geese down there,” she said. “Parks & Rec has been doing a good job of keeping them away, but the recent heavy rains have probably also contributed” to rising bacteria levels.
A decision for Friday’s beach access will be made in the morning, she said.
Meanwhile, residents with park permits can still utilize Treadwell Park pool, on Philo Curtis Road, which is open 11 am to 7 pm on Thursdays.
Through August 20, the town pool’s hours of operation are Monday and Wednesday, 11 am-8 pm; Tuesday, Thursday and Friday, 11 am-7 pm; and Saturday and Sunday, 10 am-7 pm.