- Volleyball Team Stays Unbeaten, Clinches State Playoff Berth
- Lace Up Your Sneakers — Upcoming Races Announced
- Nighthawk Laxmen Pull Away Against Pomperaug And Win Close One Over Simsbury
- Girls' Lacrosse Team Battles In Nail-Biting Losses
- Wild(cat) Win: Baseball Team Walks Off Against Bethel
- Sometimes Hard-Fought Losses Are Better Than Lopsided Wins
- NHS Girls’ Lacrosse Team Defeats Conference Rivals With Ease
Newtown High School’s field hockey team blanked visiting Fairfield Warde 3-0 in an out-of-conference battle at Blue & Gold Stadium, on October 16.
Katie Goyda had a goal, and Katherine Trammel hit the back of the cage twice for the Nighthawks. Newtown got a strong defensive play from Olivia Butler.
The Nighthawks rebounded from a five-game unbeaten streak-ending defeat, a 2-0 loss to New Fairfield, on October 10, and improved to 7-4-1 overall, with four games to play before the postseason begins.
“We just came off a disappointing loss. I think we were using that to fuel us,” said Newtown’s Hana Rosenthal, adding that the Nighthawks know the opposition has all the motivation it needs to challenge the Nighthawks, given Newtown ran the South-West Conference tournament table as the eighth seed and won the championship.
“I think last year was just so unexpected. Now, being the champions, you kind of have a target on your back,” Rosenthal said.
The Hawks dropped a 3-2 decision in overtime to host Immaculate of Danbury, on October 18. Newtown will entertain Watertown at Blue & Gold Stadium, on Friday, October 20, beginning at 6 pm.