- Registration Continues For July 21 Sandy Hook 5K
- Hammerin’ Hawgs Push Trumbull To Final Inning Before State Championship Walk-Off Loss
- Hammerin' Hawgs Reach 14U Babe Ruth State Tournament Championship
- Blue Stockings Fall To New Milford In States
- Host Blue Stockings Battle In 13U State Tournament
- Naturals Compete In Cal Ripken 8U Tourney
- Admirals Win Legion Games
Newtown High School’s field hockey team blanked visiting Fairfield Warde 3-0 in an out-of-conference battle at Blue & Gold Stadium, on October 16.
Katie Goyda had a goal, and Katherine Trammel hit the back of the cage twice for the Nighthawks. Newtown got a strong defensive play from Olivia Butler.
The Nighthawks rebounded from a five-game unbeaten streak-ending defeat, a 2-0 loss to New Fairfield, on October 10, and improved to 7-4-1 overall, with four games to play before the postseason begins.
“We just came off a disappointing loss. I think we were using that to fuel us,” said Newtown’s Hana Rosenthal, adding that the Nighthawks know the opposition has all the motivation it needs to challenge the Nighthawks, given Newtown ran the South-West Conference tournament table as the eighth seed and won the championship.
“I think last year was just so unexpected. Now, being the champions, you kind of have a target on your back,” Rosenthal said.
The Hawks dropped a 3-2 decision in overtime to host Immaculate of Danbury, on October 18. Newtown will entertain Watertown at Blue & Gold Stadium, on Friday, October 20, beginning at 6 pm.