- Final Run Of Sandy Hook 5K To Take Place July 21
- Freshmen Stepped Up To Assist In Newtown High Boys’ Lacrosse Team’s Winning Ways
- Newtown Players Help St Joseph Lacrosse Team To State Championship
- Special Olympics Torch Run, Friday
- Sarah Houle Top Golfer In State Again
- Successful Season Ends For Volleyball Squad
- Hawk Laxmen Edged By Familiar Foe Glastonbury
Newtown High School’s field hockey team had tough test against visiting South-West Conference foe New Milford, under the lights at Blue & Gold Stadium on September 19. New Milford scored all of its goals in the first half for a 3-0 win.
The Nighthawks dropped to 1-2 and the Green Wave improved to 3-1.
New Milford scored twice in a span of 2:03 less than ten minutes into the game, the first goal coming off a penalty corner insert and subsequent crisp passing sequence.
The Hawks called timeout and started to control the ball more after resuming play. They started to generate some chances, with Jordan Stofko making a run up the left wing to create a scoring opportunity and Ali Kelleher, Emma Schmid-Tharnish, and Katherine Trammel all battling for the ball in front of the New Milford cage in one sequence.
The Green Wave added to its lead with just 50 seconds remaining in the opening half. Both defenses locked down in the second half.
Newtown will host Weston at Treadwell Park on Friday, September 22, beginning at 4 pm.