- Swim Team Gets Two Pool Records In Win Over Barlow
- Boys’ Basketball Team Qualifies For SWC Tourney With Win Over Stratford
- Wrestling Team Has Standouts In Class LL Championships
- Girls’ Cagers Upset In SWC Semifinals
- Track And Field Athletes Shine In State Open
- Occhipinti Wins Title, Zeller Second In State Wrestling Championships
- Girls’ Basketball Team Advances To Tournament Semis
Newtown High School’s field hockey team had tough test against visiting South-West Conference foe New Milford, under the lights at Blue & Gold Stadium on September 19. New Milford scored all of its goals in the first half for a 3-0 win.
The Nighthawks dropped to 1-2 and the Green Wave improved to 3-1.
New Milford scored twice in a span of 2:03 less than ten minutes into the game, the first goal coming off a penalty corner insert and subsequent crisp passing sequence.
The Hawks called timeout and started to control the ball more after resuming play. They started to generate some chances, with Jordan Stofko making a run up the left wing to create a scoring opportunity and Ali Kelleher, Emma Schmid-Tharnish, and Katherine Trammel all battling for the ball in front of the New Milford cage in one sequence.
The Green Wave added to its lead with just 50 seconds remaining in the opening half. Both defenses locked down in the second half.
Newtown will host Weston at Treadwell Park on Friday, September 22, beginning at 4 pm.