- Update Shared With School Board On A Look At Potential Growth For Middle School Athletic Programs
- Youth Football & Cheer Scholarship Applications Deadline Approaching
- High School Teams Improvise As Snow Welcomes Spring Athletes
- Youth Basketball Champs Play Annual First Selectman’s Game To Benefit Food Pantry
- Sisters Help U12 Hockey Team Place Second In Tourney
- Another Record Set As Nighthawk Swimmers And Divers Compete In State Open
- O’Brien, Bauer Made Quick Strides To Help Nighthawk Hockey Team Succeed
Newtown High School’s boys’ basketball team, playing its second game in as many nights – and coming off its first win of the campaign – got off to a slow start before seeing its second-half comeback effort fall just short in a 45-43 setback to host Stamford, on January 11.
The Nighthawks trailed 38-16 at halftime and held the host Black Knights to just seven points in the second half.
Sam Grossano scored 11 points, Nick Weiland had nine, and Evan Eggleston scored seven to lead the Nighthawks.
“We played a determined and committed second half,” said Newtown Coach Tim Tallcouch, whose team will look to carry the momentum into its Friday, January 13, home game against Kolbe Cathedral of Bridgeport, beginning at 7 pm. The Hawks lost to Kolbe in the Staples Holiday Tournament earlier this season.