- A Difficult Decision: Holick Retiring As Traffic Agent
- 6th Annual Arts Festival Weekend Presented At Fairfield Hills
- Yoga Mat Art Show Planned At Newtown Yoga Center
- Football Team Earns Second Shutout Of Season
- Woodbury Hall Remediation, Demolition Commencing
- Republican Delegation Reacts To Historic State Budget Passage
- Hawk Gridders Ready For Home Opener Following Setback To Xavier
The top swimmers and divers from throughout Connecticut competed in the State Open March 17 and 18, and Newtown High School’s squad had some strong performances to finish 21st among 49 teams to score points. Dawson Stout broke his own school record in the 500 yard freestyle race. Newtown had 80.5 points. Greenwich, with 465.5, was first.
The diving competition took place at Middletown High on March 17, and the swimming events were held at Yale University in New Haven the next day.
Diver Kyle Gaynor was 18th with a score of 351.15 for seven points.
Peter Fagerholm placed 17th in the 200 yard individual medley with a time of 2:00.57 for nine points.
Tommy Horan came in 12th in the 50 yard freestyle race, finishing in 22.19 for 14.5 points. Horan had set the school’s 50 freestyle mark, in the Class LL State Championships, with a time of 21.86. Horan placed 17 in the 100 free, clocking in at 49.36 for nine points.
Stout was tenth in the 500 freestyle event, making his final touch in 4:46.88 for 17 points. Stout had previously set the Newtown High record with a time of 4:51.17 in the Class LL meet.
Newtown’s 200 free relay contingent of Horan, Colby Delia, Xavier Williams, and David Lawrence was 20th in 1:32.75 for ten points.
The 400 free relay grouping of Fagerholm, Lawrence, Stout, and Horan placed 18 in 3:20.63 for 14 points.