- Pitchers Lead Baseball Team To Conference Title
- Show Your Patriotism This Memorial Day And All Year Round With American Pride
- Relay For Life Raises Funds For Cancer Research And Care
- Fresh Flags Flying Over The Graves Of Veterans
- Llodra Departing First Selectman's Post After Current Term
- Girls' Win Track Championships And Boys Have Handful Of Individual Firsts
- Hebner, Hawk Sluggers Reach SWC Championship Round
Newtown High School’s wrestling, track and field, dance, and cheerleading squads all competed against standout counterparts from across the state and, in several instances throughout New England, in postseason competitions on March 4.
Wrestler Joe Accousti won the 170 pound weight division to help the Nighthawks finish second in the New England Regional Championships, in Providence, RI. Danbury, with 114 points, was the top team in the two-day event. Newtown had 67 points, and Mt Anthony of Vermont came in third with 62.5 points. Ed Lovely was runner-up in the 145 pound division, and Tom Long placed fourth at 220 to help the Hawks place second.
Jack Godfrey, of Newtown’s track and field squad, placed fifth in the New England Championship shot-put competition, with a throw of 50-8. The track and field event was held in Boston.
Newtown’s dance team placed third in the New England competition, in Enfield, and the cheerleading squad was third in the State Open, at Yale University in New Haven.