- Track And Field Athletes Shine In State Open
- Occhipinti Wins Title, Zeller Second In State Wrestling Championships
- Girls’ Basketball Team Advances To Tournament Semis
- Nighthawk Wrestling Team Has Strong Postseason Performances
- Hockey Team Wins, Inches Closer To Playoff Berth
- Girls' Basketball Team Turns Tables On Panthers, Beats Lancers To Clinch Top Seed
- Sprint Medley Relay Contingent Sets School Record As Track Teams Compete In States
Newtown High School’s girls’ volleyball team results from recent action are as follows:
The Nighthawks lost at Masuk of Monroe 3-1 (25-21, 25-21, 20-25, 25-20) on October 4, defeated host Brookfield 3-1 (23-25, 25-13, 25-16, 25-16) on October 6, fell 3-1 (25-19, 15-25, 25-15, 25-19) at Darien on October 9, and beat visiting Stratford 3-1 (20-25, 25-16, 25-19, 25-22) on October 11.
Against Masuk, Kim Buttery had 34 assists, 12 digs, and two kills; Julia Anderson had eight kills and four digs; and Rachel O’Grady compiled eight kills and 11 digs.
In the win over Brookfield, Anderson logged eight kills and five digs; Sarah Dowling had eight kills and four digs; and Buttery had four aces, three kills, and four blocks.
Against Darien, Buttery racked up 24 assists to go along with three kills; and Tess Mubarek recorded six digs and two aces.
In the win over Stratford, Zoe Beals had five of Newtown’s 12 team aces, and added 13 kills, and seven digs. Anderson had eight kills; Buttery had seven digs, four kills, and 11 assists; Dowling logged 14 kills and five digs; Erin Mitchell recorded two aces, eight kills, and three digs; Jackie Moccio had ten digs; and Mubarek had 25 digs to go along with a trio of aces.
Check back on The Bee sports webpage and in the October 20 print edition of The Bee for more coverage of the win over Stratford.
The Nighthawks, 9-5 overall, will visit Weston on Friday, October 13, beginning at 5:30 pm, and will host Pomperaug of Southbury on Monday, October 16, beginning at 5:30 pm.