WASHINGTON DC -– Having stumbled on gun control, President Barack Obama on Monday called for a national dialogue on mental illness – a campaign touched off by last year’s massacre at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown.Speaking at the beginning of a day-long White House conference on the issue, Obama said the time has come to bring mental illness “out of the shadows.”“I want to make sure people aren’t suffering,” he said.
Urging state legislators to make a “compassionate choice,” First Selectman Pat Llodra has added her voice to that of grieving 12/14 parents and a group of lawmakers led by Senator and Minority Leader John McKinney working to excerpt certain public records, images and 9111 recordings from public access.
According to an Associated Press report, the president of the foundation overseeing about $11.4 million in funds donated to Newtown in the wake of the shooting at the Sandy Hook Elementary School said Monday his group hopes to begin distributing money to the families of victims within a month.
The families of those massacred at Sandy Hook Elementary School are calling on legislators to amend state law so that photos and audio of the 911 phone calls from the December incident are not released to the public.“They are offensive and an invasion of my son’s right to dignity,” said Dean Pinto, whose 6-year-old son, Jack, was fatally shot along with 25 other students and educators at the Newtown school. A bill that the legislative leadership has been secretly negotiating with the governor's office would block future release of crime-scene photos...
The state Department of Transportation (DOT) will be shifting the lanes of traffic flow on the two Interstate-84 bridges which cross above Center Street in the Riverside section of Sandy Hook.
The construction work required to shift the location of traffic flow on the two 100-foot-long bridges is scheduled to start on Sunday, June 2, and continue to Friday, June 21. The parallel bridges lie about 90 feet apart from one another.
The New York Yankees will host Newtown Day when the Yankees host the Baltimore Orioles on Sunday, July 7, at 1:05 pm. Tickets are offered to all Newtown residents on a first-come, first-served basis (limit of five tickets per person). Included is a food ...
Twenty parents and spouses who lost loved ones at the shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary on 12/14 gathered together at the Capitol in Hartford on Friday, May 31, to call on legislators to pass House Bill 6424, “An Act Concerning Fees for Searches of Accident and Investigative Reports of the Department of Emergency Services and Public Protection.” They were joined by sisters, a brother, a son, a teacher, and others directly affected by what happened 5½ months ago today. The bill, which is being considered by the Connecticut General Assembly, contains an amendment that would ensure the privacy of crime scene information depicting the gruesome circumstances of the tragic mass shooting that resulted in the murder of 20 first grade students and six educators.
Following a similar appeal by Acting Superintendent John Reed via a two-part video broadcast on The Bee’s YouTube channel, a number of other local officials requested to post face-to-face messages to local taxpayers.
Those officials — First Selectman Pat Llodra, Selectman James Gaston, Board of Finance Chairman John Kortze, Board of Education Chair Debbie Leidlein, and Legislative Council Chairman Jeff Capeci, Vice Chair Mary Ann Jacob and Education Committee Chair Kathryn Fetchick — all voiced support for passing the latest district request.
Those awaiting the release of the long-awaited public investigatory report on the criminal actions of Adam Lanza, who shot and killed 28 people including himself in Sandy Hook last December 14, likely will need to wait somewhat longer than initially thought, possibly until October.
State police spokesman Lieutenant J. Paul Vance said May 29 that the release of that report sometime in June is unlikely, with its disclosure coming at some later point. Lt Vance declined to say when that might be.
“We will do a complete investigation,” he stressed, explaining that state police want to be thorough in probing the mass murder.
After the police investigation is complete, it will be sent to Danbury State’s Attorney Stephen J. Sedensky III, who would then write a public report on the case, Lt Vance said.
Before any investigatory information is made public, state police plan to discuss the results of their probe with the survivors of those killed by Lanza, according to Lt Vance.