Newtown Historical Society will host an open house at its headquarters, The Matthew Curtiss House, on Sunday, May 19.
Master Sergeant Bill Goessinger of The Second Company Governor’s Horse Guard will be joining us along with two of his horses. All are invited to learn about the history of the horse guard, which is headquartered in Newtown, and how it has evolved over the years.
The public is also invited to visit and tour the building at 44 Main Street any time between noon and 4 pm.
The house-museum, a fine example of Connecticut saltbox architecture, was constructed circa 1750 and purchased by Matthew Curtiss Jr in 1781. In 1970 the historical society purchased and restored the house to its original condition.
Junior and senior docents will be available to answer questions about the house and its history, as well as provide guided tours by request.
Admission is free, however, donations are welcomed and appreciated.