Home

Organizers Hoping To (Finally) Light The Sky For Sandy Hook, September 21

PORTLAND — Organizers are hoping that next weekend will be a go for “Light The Sky With Light and Love for Sandy Hook Elementary Angels.”

A tribute event for the children and teachers who were killed on 12/14, the event has been postponed twice already due to heavy rains and flooding leading up to June 9, and then August 3.

Saturday, September 21, is the new day for the one-day carnival at Portland Fairgrounds. The event will run from noon to 9 pm, and will include rides, arcade games, children’s activities, several food and jewelry vendors, and more. There will also be entertainment including musical talents as well as magician performances. Kevin Ward is also planning on having The Sandy Hook Tribute Durango at the fairgrounds that day.

At the end of the evening, a laser light show and fireworks display will take place to honor and remember the 26 angels of Sandy Hook Elementary School.

Light the Sky with Light and Love was conceived of by a 10-year-old boy, Jordan Spencer, who wanted to do something to help after finding out about the shootings. According to notes on the LightTheSkyCT website by Jordan’s mother, he came up with “a small plan ... to release lanterns in honor of all the fallen angels” on December 15, 2012.

Jordan, his 7-year-old brother Cameron, and their mother Alysia Robinson came up with the idea to honor the 26 angels that were lost on that day. What started as a smaller event has grown tremendously as people from across the state heard about and wanted to donate their services and time to the event.

“The idea has taken on a life of its own. We are trying to make it spectacular!” Ms Robinson’s note continues. “Our goal is to celebrate the lives all of those lost that horrific day, inspire love and unity, help all of those directly affected begin to heal, and help raise money for 6 AMAZING causes!”

Admission is $15 for adults with rides, $10 for adults without rides; $10 for a child or teen ride band; and $5 for a child’s ride band. Admission is free for teens and children who will not be going on any rides.

Proceeds from admissions and wristbands will be equally divided between four organizations that were chosen by Jordan Spencer: Newtown Lions Club (to be earmarked for first responders), The Victoria Soto Scholarship Fund, The Catherine Hubbard Animal Sanctuary, and The Jesse Lewis Choose Love Foundation.

In addition, Jordan and his family will have a table set up during the carnival, where they will be inviting guests to sponsor and decorate paper lanterns. Funds raised at that station will be allocated as follows: 75 percent will go to The My Sandy Hook Family Fund, and the other 25 percent will go to The Sandy Hook Family Healing Fund.

Portland Fairgrounds are on Main Street (Route 17-A). There is limited handicapped parking available at the fairgrounds, but additional parking — and shuttle service — is available at Store-U-Self Storage, 127 Main Street; Standard Knapp, 63 Pickering Street; and Specialty Lighting, 74 Pickering Street. Guests with strollers are encouraged to use the Store-u-Self parking lot.

For additional information call 203-605-6988, send email to info@LightTheSkyCT.com, or follow the event page on Facebook, or visit gofundme.com/LightTheSkyWithLightNLove.

 

You must register or login to post a comment.