To the Editor:
To CAGV (Connecticut against Gun Violence) in response to your recent radio advertisement.
The existence of an organization dedicated to infringing on the right of the people to keep and bear arms is testament to the intelligence and necessity of the Second Amendment. You should try reading it! It ensures your freedom of speech among other things.
Furthermore, advertising in this manner perpetuates grief among survivors and invites copy cats. Accessories?
Your agenda is counterproductive at best, Un-American, and possibly an attempt to invoke civil war! Your strategy relies on dividing the people and threatens liberty and justice! You have become the aggressor, drawing lines in the sand and forcing Americans to choose sides. Your success would ensure that law abiding citizens are out- gunned by criminals! Your actions are also contradictive to your own mission statement, (see CAGV/ about) “to enhance gun safety.” I would like to enhance dog safety! Using your logic, I should ban big dogs and limit the number of teeth of all others! This would at least have some positive effect as the dog is the actual aggressor in this case as opposed to a gun which has no will of its own.
This is a great disservice to your many very well intentioned contributors and coalition partners too. They deserve better. Their money would have been better spent had it been donated to a local food bank or shelter.
I am all for gun safety! If you can find your way back to your true mission I will donate! But first you will need to redeem the integrity and credibility of CAGV. Completing this checklist might help.
* Retract all ads mentioning Newtown / Sandy Hook including on your website.
* Apologize publicly for insensitivity.
* Apologize to supporters for misuse of their funding.
* Redirect your considerable resources towards creating effective legislature that does not trample the rights of Americans.
* Create a “soapbox” law making it a crime for anyone to use specific victims rather than general statistics to forward a political agenda as you have done.
* Create laws pertaining to media, limiting their “circus” numbers not their access, and when but not what they can report with one exception.
* Create a law prohibiting publication or airing in any way, the name or likeness of any mass or serial criminal in conjunction with the crimes committed or to otherwise nickname any criminal,(Son of Sam, etc.) The only acceptable terms being “lunatic” or “scum bag”. No more famous criminals!
* Tougher laws for use of a firearm in the commission of a crime. The tougher the better and your only opposition would be from criminals.
* Enhance gun safety through education!
When you have completed this list, call me so we can discuss how inappropriate it is to honor or celebrate a three month anniversary of a shooting! (See CAGV homepage/ ALERT). I find this offensive and do not (FB like) it.
52 Overlook Drive, New Milford March 19, 2013